Re: Simplify[ArcTan[Tan[a] + Tan[b]]]

On Jul 25, 6:31 am, rych <rych... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can't Mathematica tell anything about ArcTan[Tan[a] + Tan[b]]? Maybe
> there exists no useful identity for that? By useful I mean the
> expression with functions of the "angles" a and b other than tangents.
> Thanks
> Igor

Igor,

I'm not quite sure what you want Mathematica to do with it. It's not
like ArcTan and Tan are truly inverses.

ArcTan[Tan[W]]  my not be  W  while

Tan[ArcTan[W]] is  W.

Personally I think

ArcTan[Tan[a] + Tan[b]]

is simplified enough. Of course there are many alternate and equal
expressions to it that could be of some use. But, which one?

Gary