Re: And now for something completely different

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120551] Re: And now for something completely different
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:56:00 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/27/2011 3:22 AM, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> Or, perhaps this is even more appropriate ;-) :
>
> http://kingjbible.com/genesis/1.htm
>

> Andrzej Kozlowski

I suppose SW would like NKS to be compared with the King James
translation of the Bible.  The KJV's version of Genesis tends
to be rather poetical, and hardly the touchstone for conveying
clarity to a modern reader. It does have verses beginning with
"And".  A good catch.

However, the initial "And"s are lacking
in more contemporary translations intended to express the clear
content of the Bible to a modern English reader: e.g.
  http://net.bible.org/#!bible/Genesis+1:1

I see one spot though..  "And there was light." in that translation.
For drama, don't you think?