Re: FinancialData errors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120604] Re: FinancialData errors
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 06:03:36 -0400 (EDT)

> Prices do vary continuously, they don't stay the same for a whole day,
> At the moment you bought it was 10.36.  At the moment the data source
> was sampled it was 10.23. Usually historical data use the closing
> price, AFAIK. I see nothing strange in this.

Nonsense.

It's a mutual fund, as you can see from its name. It has one price,
exactly once a day. I can look up that price at Yahoo! Finance, and it
agrees with what the fund company charged me on that day. Check Feb 10th
on the following page:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=JANFX&d=6&e=29&f11&g=d&a=1&b=16&c10&z=66&y=66

where open, high, low, and close are all the same -- namely, $10.36.

I JUST noticed the last column on that page says the "adjusted" close was
$10.23, and that's what FinancialData returned -- part of a possible
explanation -- but:

a) There was no dividend or split on that day or any day nearby,
b) NONE of the numbers in that column make any sense,
c) For most days and/or most funds, FinancialData returns the unadjusted
close, so there's no consistency, and
d) I want the price I paid, not an "adjusted" number, even if it made
sense.

> If a difference of less than 2% in the historical market data
> influences your algorithms, I won't trust your conclusions.  :)

I want to input the dollars I contributed and compute the shares I bought,
to the same 3 to 4 digits that the fund companies compute it, in order to
simplify "buy" and "sell" functions -- to save me time when entering
trades. 2% is far too much error to do that.

Ending with the wrong number of shares in my account -- because of days
when the price comes back wrong from FinancialData -- is unacceptable. It
makes the share and dollar balance wrong, the internal rate of return
wrong, etc.

I'm contributing $100 to my IRA 60 times a year, plus occasional transfers
among the funds I hold, so simpler "buy" and "sell" functions seem
worthwhile, if it were possible... which, with these errors, it is not.

And regardless, whether I need perfection or not, the "curated" data is
simply wrong.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com