How can I force the generation of an auto-save package?

Dear MathGroup,

In Mathematica 8, how can I force the generation of an auto-save package
if the front end doesn't offer it upon save?  Is there a more
user-friendly way than manually setting the AutoGeneratedPackage option
in the Option Inspector?

--
Szabolcs Horv=E1t
Mathematica on SE: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/15787/mathematica