Re: $UserBaseDirectory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122752] Re: $UserBaseDirectory
  • From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 06:26:31 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 12:22:53 -0000, E. Frauendorfer
<he.frauendorfer at t-online.de> wrote:

> Help for $UserBaseDirectory  gives the following "very helpful"
> instruction:
>
> The value of $UserBaseDirectory can be specified by setting the
> MATHEMATICA_BASE operating system environment variable when the
> Mathematica kernel is launched. It cannot be reset from inside the
> kernel.
>
> I would like to know where, when and how to do that.
>
> Thanks EF

You should look at your operating system documentation regarding setting
environment variables. However, briefly:

In Windows, at the command prompt:

set MATHEMATICA_BASE="C:\ProgramData\Mathematica"

In a terminal under Linux (assuming ksh/bash):

export MATHEMATICA_BASE=/usr/share/mathematica

In Mac OS (again assuming bash):

export MATHEMATICA_BASE=/Library/Mathematica

Then start Mathematica from this same command prompt/shell instance using,
e.g.

Windows:

"C:\Program Files\Wolfram\Mathematica\8.0\Mathematica.exe"

Linux/Mac OS:

Mathematica &

Finally I would like to correct an error above. $UserBaseDirectory is
associated with the MATHEMATICA_USERBASE environment variable.
MATHEMATICA_BASE influences $BaseDirectory, not $UserBaseDirectory. The
usage of either of these is essentially the same but the paths will be
different.