Re: $UserBaseDirectory

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg122734] Re: $UserBaseDirectory
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 06:23:17 -0500 (EST)

On 08/11/2011 12:22, E. Frauendorfer wrote:
> Help for $UserBaseDirectory  gives the following "very helpful" instruction:
> The value of $UserBaseDirectory can be specified by setting the
> MATHEMATICA_BASE operating system environment variable when the
> Mathematica kernel is launched. It cannot be reset from inside the kernel.
> I would like to know where, when and how to do that.
> Thanks EF

Are you using Windows? If so, go into the 'Control Panel', open 'System'
and press 'Advanced', then 'Environment Variables'. You should then add
a new system variable with the name MATHEMATICA_BASE and value equal to
the full pathname of a directory that you wish to use for this purpose.

I do this myself, as  it is more convenient to keep this directory in a
fixed place rather than at a location that varies with changes in the
OS, etc.

David Bailey