Re: FinancialData - how to find ticker symbols?

On Nov 8, 2011, at 6:15 AM, Mikael wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to retrieve data for some European stocks using
FinancialData but I am having difficulties to find the corresponding
ticker symbols for the stocks I am interested in.

> As an example suppose I am interested in German Siemnens or Swedish
Volvo stocks. I understand that I can use

> FinancialData["Exchanges"]
>
> to find the names of exchanges but I have not been able to find the
ticker symbol for those stocks I am looking for.

> I wonder also what would be the general way of doing this if I just
know the name of a company and the country where it is traded. Thanks.

I use Wolfram|Alpha for this.  In a new cell, type '=volvo stock' and
it tells me I want FinancialData["PK:VOLVY"].  (Without the 'stock'
Siemens defaults to the unit instead of the company.)

Brett