Re: Problem displaying user-created .cdf files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122985] Re: Problem displaying user-created .cdf files
  • From: Gary <gpalmerlv at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 06:47:15 -0500 (EST)

I took John's suggestion and added SaveDefinitions --> True to the
Manipulate[] options. This seemed to solve the problem, in that I was
able to save a notebook as a cdf file and display it in both the CDF
Player and on a web page on a remote server where I have an account
<faculty.unlv.edu/gbp/mma/rotate_on_arbit_axes.html>. I won't
guarantee to leave that page up indefinitely, but I will leave it for
a week, but you may not be able to access it anyway for reasons that
follow in (1).

But solving this problem seemed to lead to other problems, to wit:
(1) The site mentioned above does not always work. It worked for me
the first couple of times and it worked for a friend. But I now find
that it somes up with a dialog and a button which disappear before I
can read or select them, leaving me with a gray square. I tried
deleting cookies and history in Firefox, with the result that opening
the cdf web page now produces a solid black page in that browser. Is
it possible that in creating a very large display (width = 1400 height
= 1100) I exceeded the capacity of the browser or the Player? I have
reduced the display dimensions in the web page now to 600 x 400, and
it tries to display, but leaves only the gray panel after the
permissions dialog flickers twice.
(2) On opening Mathematica Home Edition 8, I now find that the Open...
link on the opening panel doesn't work. This is not a big deal,
because I can still open files from the File menu, but it is a
nuisance. The Wolfram CDF Player functions properly.
(3) More problematic, I find that the Open Option Inspector button in
the Preferences --> Advanced panel is now grayed out and
dysfunctional. Since the file I was working with had the brackets
hidden with Display Options --> ShowCellBrackets --> False, that file
is now practically uneditable because I need the brackets to profile
the cell boundaries. Furthermore, I have no way of setting other
options or of knowing which options are set. Is there a way to restore
the function of this important button?

In attempting to fix these problems, I repaired disk permissions with
the Disk Utility and reinstalled Mathematica 8 from the diskette. That
produced no improvement. The Open... and Open Option Inspector buttons
still don't work. The browsers appear to be working well on all other
sites that I use. What now? Have these problems been seen before or am
I uniquely talented at unintentionally disorganizing a perfectly good
computer program?

Mathematica Home Edition 8, iMac, OS X 10.6.8, Chrome, Firefox