3d EPS export files huge on Mac OS X, not so much on PCs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121831] 3d EPS export files huge on Mac OS X, not so much on PCs
  • From: Roger <rljunk50 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 01:32:20 -0400 (EDT)

I generated a very simple Plot3D plot on my Mac (OS X v 6.4,
Mathematica 8.0) and right-click Save As... EPS. The resulting file
was 1.3MB (with more complex plots, I've seen plot file sizes of
around 200MB!). When the same plot is processed on a PC running some
Windows OS, the result is about 400KB. Unfortunately I am required to
produce EPS files rather than JPGs directly even though LaTeX promptly
converts them to JPGs.

A similar (identical?) problem was reported four years ago on this
newsgroup with an older version of Mathematica - except then the
problem was with PC export:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/a669fd00915cbbf5/8d8d847ffca75f6d?lnk=gst&q=plot3d+huge#8d8d847ffca75f6d

Has anyone else seen this issue or have any suggestions? Thanks.