Re: 3d EPS export files huge on Mac OS X, not so much on PCs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121861] Re: 3d EPS export files huge on Mac OS X, not so much on PCs
  • From: Robert Rosenbaum <robertr at math.uh.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 04:01:28 -0400 (EDT)

EPS is a vector format which means that the files contain instructions
for drawing an image instead of coordinates with associated colors as
with raster figures (eg: bmp, tiff, png, jpg).  The problem is that EPS
doesn't render 3D graphics, so Mathematica is left with two options:
1) embed a raster into the EPS, or
2) generate a sequence of vector graphics commands that draws the
projection of the 3D image.
For some reason your PC is choosing option 1 and your mac is choosing
option 2, which yields large files.

The function Rasterize will force Mathematica to choose option 1 before
you even export the figure.
The problem is that axes labels will also be rasterized instead of
embedded as fonts.  Here's a tutorial on how to get the best of both:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6301676/mathematica-rasters-in-3d-graphics

Best,
Robert

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/a669fd00915cbbf5/8d8d847ffca75f6d?lnk=gst&q=plot3d+huge#8d8d847ffca75f6d