Re: Plot function with two arguments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122105] Re: Plot function with two arguments
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 05:53:36 -0400 (EDT)

"Remove Evaluate, and all the curves will be the same color."

Why actually it behaves this way?

This:

f[x_, k_] := (k*x^2 - x)/(x - k);

Plot[Table[f[x, k], {k, -3, 3}], {x, -20, 20}]

indeed yields all lines of the same colour.  However, this:

lst=Table[f[x, k], {k, -3, 3}];

Plot[lst, {x, -20, 20}]

returns the lines with different colours. I would appreciate, if one explains the reason

For such a behaviour.

Thank you, Alexei

f[x_, k_] := (k*x^2 - x)/(x - k)

Plot[Evaluate@Table[f[x, k], {k, -3, 3}], {x, -20, 20}]

Remove Evaluate, and all the curves will be the same color.

Bobby

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 02:43:01 -0500, Momo K <momok1994 at googlemail.com>

wrote:

> Hello,

> I want to plot the function f. It is defined as followed:

> f[x_, k_] := (k*x^2 - x)/(x - k)

> As you see, it takes two arguments. In fact it shall represent a family

> of

> curves, but I didn't find any way different to this to define one.

> My aim is to plot the function by plot firstly f[x, -3], then f[x, -2],

> f[x,

> -1], f[x, 0], ...

> Is there a way to do this automatically without typing every single

> function

> with k adjusted. I imagined something like {{x,-20,20}, {k,-3,3}} or so.

> Many thanks

> and best regards

> Momo

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.