Re: Fitting step function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122100] Re: Fitting step function
  • From: Jacopo Bertolotti <jacopo.bertolotti at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 05:52:42 -0400 (EDT)

Maybe I totally misunderstood your point but, if you really want to know
where the phase jumps (likely phase wraps) happen, wouldn't be a lot
easier to just look when the difference between two adjacent points is
bigger than Pi or something like that?

Here is an example code (sorry, it is not easily readable but I hope it
makes my point clear):
phasedata = Table[Arg[Exp[I x^2]], {x, 0, 10, 0.01}];  (*any phase data.
Here I am just faking some.*)
jumps = Drop[ Flatten@Position[Round[Differences[phasedata]/(2 Pi)],
Except[0]], 1];  (*find those points whose difference with the previous
one is approximately a multiple of 2 Pi. There is a spurious 0 that is
eliminated with the Drop command. *)
jumps = Table[{jumps[[i]], 0}, {i, 1, Dimensions[jumps][[1]]}];  (* give
the coordinates a y value just for the sake of plotting *)
ListPlot[phasedata, Joined -> True, Epilog -> {PointSize[Medium], Red,
Map[Point, jumps]}] (*It works!!!*)

Regards

Jacopo