Fitting step function
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg122079] Fitting step function
- From: premiumxy <spam at stefanabel.com>
- Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 03:44:07 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hello, I have the following problem: I have a set of data about some phase information of a signal. At certain points there is a clear step of 180 degrees. I would like to fit this data to find the x-coordinates of these steps. I have the feeling that "normal" step-functions in Mathematica (such as UnitStep, HeavisideTheta, Sign...) are not varied in the fit-routines (such as NonlinearModelFit). I guess it this is caused by the functions not being continuous. I would appreciate any hints for this quite simple (?)problem. The only option that I can currently see is to create a "step-like" continuous function such as Tanh[A x] (with A>>1) Thanks!