Fitting step function

Hello,

I have the following problem: I have a set of data about some phase information of a signal. At certain points there is a clear step of 180 degrees.

I would like to fit this data to find the x-coordinates of these steps. I have the feeling that "normal" step-functions in Mathematica (such as UnitStep, HeavisideTheta, Sign...) are not varied in the fit-routines (such as NonlinearModelFit). I guess it this is caused by the functions not being continuous.

I would appreciate any hints for this quite simple (?)problem. The only option that I can currently see is to create a "step-like" continuous function such as Tanh[A x] (with A>>1)

Thanks!