Re: Taking the Arg of a complex number

Thanks all for the replies.

Simon's answer seems the most satisfying, interesting that a 'FullSimplify' is required. Refine and Simplify don't cut it (still not 100% how these three differ). I was also being a bit thick about the range of phi I was using.  Getting an answer of ArcTan[Cos[phi], Sin[phi]] also makes sense when the range of phi is not defined.

To those who have suggested that the issue was due to Arg[z] not being evaluated unless z is numeric, as stated in the documentation - this was my first thought, however I think this means that Arg['symbolic variable'] can't be evaluated (which makes sense), rather than Arg['symbolic expression'] can't be evaluated.

Regards,

Ben