Re: Problem with Solve and NSolve

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg122466] Re: Problem with Solve and NSolve
  • From: Heike Gramberg <heike.gramberg at>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 07:11:45 -0400 (EDT)

Solve and NSolve are used to find closed form solutions of equations.
Since your equation because it is a transcendental equation which
doesn't have an explicit close form solution Solve returns an error. To
find numerical approximations of the solutions you can use FindRoot
instead, e.g.

FindRoot[x^3*Sin[x] == 1, {x, 1}]

output: {x -> 1.04879}

see =
for more information about solving equations in Mathematica.

On 28 Oct 2011, at 11:35, V. Williams wrote:

> I've recently tried Mathematica 8.0.1, and I've found that it's unable
to compute Solve[x^3*Sin[x]==1,x] (and the same with NSolve), which
gives an error: