Re: Quit versus Clear["Global`*"]
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg121203] Re: Quit versus Clear["Global`*"]
- From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
- Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 17:56:55 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
On 9/3/11 at 8:05 AM, tmatsoukas at me.com (Themis Matsoukas) wrote: >What is the difference between quitting the kernel and executing >Clear["Global`*"]? Clear["Global`*"] clears things in the Global context. Clear out other contexts, reset the history stack etc. as would occur by quitting the kernel. For example: In:= a = 3; In:= Clear["Global`*"] In:= b = 3; In:= Quit In:= a = 4; Notice the count of input cells increases after using Clear but resets to 1 after using Quit >Is there a command to quit the kernel, instead of selecting >Quit/Local from there Evaluate menu? Yes, Quit. See above. It might be worth mentioning if your goal is to restore some previous state of a session, the CleanSlate package offers more flexibility.