Re: Quit versus Clear["Global`*"]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121207] Re: Quit versus Clear["Global`*"]
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 04:13:20 -0400 (EDT)

On 03/09/2011 13:10, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
> What is the difference between quitting the kernel and executing Clear["Global`*"]?
>
> Is there a command to quit the kernel, instead of selecting Quit/Local from there Evaluate menu?
>
> Thanks

Quit[] will quit the kernel.

Obviously Clear["Global`*"] would not clear information that might end
up in other contexts, whereas Quit[] will clear everything.

I never clear the global context - I just quit the kernel one way or
another. Restarting the kernel used to be rather slow, but with the
speed of a modern PC, there really doesn't seem much point doing
anything else unless you specifically wish to preserve some information
that is not in Global`.

I tend to quit the kernel quite a lot - e.g. between successive runs of
a program - why risk the confusion that can arise when two function
definitions end up coexisting!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk