How to generate report with Mathematica script from command line (no front end)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121259] How to generate report with Mathematica script from command line (no front end)
  • From: james rund <janjunis at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 03:58:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
first of all: am overwhelmed by the loads of useful tricks on this mailing list!

Now, my current problem is the following, perhaps you can help:
I want to use Mathematica to make pretty reports of our data analysis.
I have a mathematica notebook that will load data from a specified file and generate a PDF and CDF accordingly.
Now I want to turn this into a command line script to do the same job, where the input parameter is the filename of the file that contains the data.

However, the script does not to anything sensible. It does not write the PDF and CDF files.
I use CreateDocument and NotebookSave for that in the notebook version of the script.

What could be going wrong?
Do I need to have an open front end all the time?
if yes -> how to I load something via a shell command to the front end?

The only solution I came up with so far is pretty bad:
Have a loop in a front end notebook running ALL THE TIME which checks for a specific file. If the file exists it will generate a report accordingly.

However, this is an embarrassing solution.....don't judge me on that.... ;-))

Please tell me a better trick if you know one.

Many thanks,

james