MathGroup Archive 2011

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: How to generate report with Mathematica script from command line (no front end)

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121288] Re: How to generate report with Mathematica script from command line (no front end)
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 05:41:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com

Hi James
I have the same problem.
By what I know, it's not possible to generate pdf using the kernel
without front end...
Let me know if you get it!
Tks
Murta

On Sep 6, 5:05 am, james rund <janju... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> first of all: am overwhelmed by the loads of useful tricks on this mailing list!
>
> Now, my current problem is the following, perhaps you can help:
> I want to use Mathematica to make pretty reports of our data analysis.
> I have a mathematica notebook that will load data from a specified file and generate a PDF and CDF accordingly.
> Now I want to turn this into a command line script to do the same job, where the input parameter is the filename of the file that contains the data.
>
> However, the script does not to anything sensible. It does not write the PDF and CDF files.
> I use CreateDocument and NotebookSave for that in the notebook version of the script.
>
> What could be going wrong?
> Do I need to have an open front end all the time?
> if yes -> how to I load something via a shell command to the front end?
>
> The only solution I came up with so far is pretty bad:
> Have a loop in a front end notebook running ALL THE TIME which checks for a specific file. If the file exists it will generate a report accordingly.
>
> However, this is an embarrassing solution.....don't judge me on that.... ;-))
>
> Please tell me a better trick if you know one.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> james

• Prev by Date: NonlinearModelFit and "ANOVATable" and "ParameterConfidenceIntervalTable"
  • Next by Date: PlotMarkers Documentation inconsistency
  • Previous by thread: How to generate report with Mathematica script from command line (no front end)
  • Next by thread: Re: How to generate report with Mathematica script from command line (no front end)