Re: Likelihood analysis with Mathematica: which Method for NIntegrate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121524] Re: Likelihood analysis with Mathematica: which Method for NIntegrate
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kjm at KevinMcCann.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 04:12:44 -0400 (EDT)

I typically use a Bayesian approach to such problems, and I find that
the combination of FindMinimum with the default method for the LSQ part
along with the NIntegrate and its defaults works best. Remember, lots of
very smart numerical analysts at Wolfram developed these; so, unless you
have a very good reason to do otherwise, I would suggest that the
default methods, i.e. Mathematica gets to choose, work best. Now, for a "quick
and dirty" version, I would probably use a Table evaluation and a
ListContourPlot on a fairly coarse grid, before I use FindMinimum. This
way I can restrict the parameters without taking a lot of computer time.
In any such problem, you should use all available physical or other
information to restrict the parameter search.

Kevin