Graph vs. GraphPlot

1. Suppose g is a Graph, with specified vertex labels.
Shouldn't GraphPlot[g,VertexLabeling->True] display those labels?
(It does not.) Can I force this outcome somehow?

2. Suppose I want a GraphPlot with some isolated vertices.
Note that unlike Graph, GraphPlot does not take a list of vertices.
So ... what is the workaround? (I've created a Graph and then tried
GraphPlot[g], but then the vertices do not display correctly. (See 1.)

Thanks,
Alan Isaac