Re: Arbitrary vector

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121673] Re: Arbitrary vector
  • From: James Womack <james.c.womack at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 22:36:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jacopo

Thanks for your reply. I see your point. Having vectors without a
clearly defined number of components would make it impossible to get
definite answers from some vector operations.

The reason why I asked this question was because I wanted to derive an
equation featuring vectors. I knew all the vectors had the same number
of components, but did not know what those components were or how many
of them there were (i.e. they were in the same, undefined, coordinate
system). I was hoping there was some way that Mathematica could
interpret this system without me needing to specify the components of
the vectors explicitly.

So, rather than have a.b = a_x b_x + a_y b_y + a_z b_z, I'd like to see
a.b = \sum_{i}^{N} a_i b_i where N is not explicitly defined (to clearly
express my intent, I have used LaTeX-style notation).

Essentially, I'd like to tell Mathematica that a and b are vectors with
N components and have Mathematica perform operations on vector
operations a and b without explicitly defining N or the individual
vector components.

Thanks for taking the time to consider my question.

James