Re: Arbitrary vector

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121695] Re: Arbitrary vector
  • From: Simon <simonjtyler at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 04:15:00 -0400 (EDT)

It's not built into Mathematica. But it is possible to define the rules that you need for your calculation  - either in terms of symbolic matrices or some symbolic index notation.

I don't know of any good implementation of symbolic matrices - but here's an ugly one of mine: http://stackoverflow.com/q/5708208/421225
It needs a lot of work (I've got a half-rewritten copy of it on my machine using optional values instead of options that makes it a little tidier), but you get the idea.

As for index notation, there is xAct (http://xact.es/) which is mainly focused on general relativity - but you can define a flat R^n space...

There are definitely other implementations of symbolic (indexed and non-indexed) matrices, but I can't remember where or how good they are.

Simon