Integration error? Integrate[1/(x^3-1)]?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg121702] Integration error? Integrate[1/(x^3-1)]?
- From: Travis Ayres <trayres at gmail.com>
- Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 04:16:18 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The indefinite integral of 1/(x^3-1) with respect to x.
In input form, put into Mathematica 8:
Integrate[1/(x^3 - 1), x]
-(ArcTan[(1 + 2*x)/Sqrt]/Sqrt) + (1/3)*Log[1 - x] - (1/6)*
Log[1 + x + x^2]
Computing online with the Wolfram integrator:
-(ArcTan[(1 + 2*x)/Sqrt]/Sqrt) + Log[-1 + x]/3 - Log[1 + x +
Look at the (1/3)*Log[1-x] term.
Mathematica 8 gives me Log[1-x], the online integrator gives the
The answers are exactly the same in all other terms. I ran across this
because I was trying the tutorials, and I noticed my answer was
different than the result in the tutorial even.
Is this an error?
Prev by Date:
Re: Bug with Sequence and Assignment by Part...
Next by Date:
Re: Count Number of Iteration [FindRoot]
Previous by thread:
Re: More FinancialData glitches
Next by thread:
Re: Integration error? Integrate[1/(x^3-1)]?