Re: problem opening mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121697] Re: problem opening mathematica
  • From: ÅerÃch Jakub <Serych at panska.cz>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 04:15:22 -0400 (EDT)

Version 8.0.1 solves this, but I know workaround even for the version 8.0.0. The source of problem is, that your network is using web proxy - isn't it? If it is true, the problem is for 99% based on it.

Mathematica tries to connect to Wolfram webs during the start process to display Welcome screen, but it cannot set the proxy correctly.

The solution is to open any Mathematica notebook by doubleclicking it (not to open the Mathematica from Start menu of Windows first). When Mathematica opens the notebook (it should work without problems, because in this case Mathematica doesn't attempt to display Welcome screen), go to the menu Edit/Preferences, choose the card called "Internet connectivity" and its subcard called "Proxy settings" and use "Use the following settings:" button and fill down the addresses and ports valid for your network (ask the network administrator, if you don't know the correct values). Do not use the default value "Use proxy settings from my browser or system" because it doesn't work correctly in version 8.0.0 under the MS Windows.

Than close the dialogues and close Mathematica and try if now you can start it even from Start menu.

But as I said in the begining, if you can upgrade to 8.0.1, do it. This bug was repaired in that newer version.

Jakub