Re: Where is ShowGraph?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125964] Re: Where is ShowGraph?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 02:28:09 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/9/12 at 5:32 AM, mathgroup at stein.org (James Stein) wrote:

>I assume Combinatorica comes preloaded with Mathematica 8, because
>my attempt to load Combinatorica gives an error message
>"Combinatorica Graph and Permutations functionality has been
>superseded by preloaded functionaliy[sic]."

>And indeed, so it seems, as this code works fine:
>g = GraphData["KnightsTour"]
>resulting in an apparently sensible list structure for g.

>However, online documentation for Combinatorica describes a routine
>ShowGraph, giving this example:
>ShowGraph[CompleteGraph[5]]
>But ShowGraph is not defined (apparently not preloaded). Indeed,
>'ShowGraph' appears in blue text (undefined) in the aforementioned
>documentation page.

>I visited www.combinatorica.com, as suggested by the documentation,
>without edification.

>What am I missing?  How do I display the graph 'g'?

There have been changes in version 8 that impact usage of
Combinatorica. First, *some* but not all of the functions of
Combinatorica have been incorporated into the kernel. So, in
*some* cases, you can do things without loading the package.

In previous versions of Mathematica, you would load the package
by doing

Needs["DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`"] or
<<DiscreteMath`Combinatorica

You can still do the above in version 8. But if you do you will
be loading an older version of the Combinatorica package and
will see several warning messages

With version 8 you would do better to do either

Needs["Combinatorica`"] or
<<Combinatorica`

You will still see one warning message indicating some of the
functionality of this package has bee superseded by preloaded functionality.