Re: Integrating an InterpolatingFunction times another function

Hi

> I have made a sample InterpolatingFunction:
>
> points = {{0, 0}, {1, 1}, {2, 3}, {3, 4}, {4, 3}, {5, 0}};
> ifun = Interpolation[points]
>
> The following integral computes fine:
>
> Integrate[ifun[x], {x, 1, 5}]
>
> However, this integral will not be evaluated:
>
> Integrate[x*ifun[x], {x, 1, 5}]
>
> Why will this integral not be computed?  Is there any way that I can
> compute this integral?

Use NIntegrate. It's probably worth noting that it is a very special
feature that integration of just interpolating functions works
symbolically, you can even get another interpolating function for the
indefinite integral, e.g.:

Integrate[ifun[x],x]

hth,

albert