Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126162] Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 06:05:39 -0400 (EDT)

Correct, the result of Sin[1] is _exactly_ Sin[1], whereas Sin[1.] will
give you a decimal result that approximates the exact value.

This is one of the most basic ideas of Mathematica -- that it can deal
with exact symbolic quantities, like Pi or E or Sqrt[2] or Sin[1].

Perhaps you need to read some of the introductory tutorials provided
with Mathematica.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305