Controlling scale of Graphics on paper

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126154] Controlling scale of Graphics on paper
  • From: Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 00:31:22 -0400 (EDT)

I would like to use Mathematica to make printed templates of various
kinds.

In one use, a complicated shape is generated mathematically and
displayed using Graphics or Show, the plot is printed on paper, the
paper is glued to a piece of wood, which is cut and drilled to the lines
and center-points.  This requires the ability to control the on-paper
scale factor, so that a length of 1.0 in a line ends up being one inch
(or one centimeter) on paper.

I assume that this is possible, but have not found anything relevant in
the online documentation.  What I have done is used Mathematica to make
dolls of machine parts; in this case it was sufficient that all be in
the same scale, which was achieved using ImageSize->72*6 directives, but
ImageSize doesn't speak directly to the issue of scale on paper.

It may be that ImageSize->{w,h} can be used, but there is some math
required.

So, my question is how best to achieve a specified scale on paper.

TIA,

Joe Gwinn