Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126187] Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically
  • From: prof.eduardofontana at gmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 05:31:31 -0400 (EDT)

thanks for the replies. I can go along with all your explanations for the Sin function, even though I havent had this interpretation of results from Mathematica before. I never had to use the N option before. What about my second enquire, reproduced below:
In another instance, I have a summation of about 1000 terms defined as
a function of 3 arguments. When I use numerical arguments to calculate the summation, instead of
Mathematica calculating a numerical result it generates a symbolic
output with all 1000 terms.
It doesnt make sense that Mathematica chooses to do the whole thing symbolically. I have made similar calculations before, and Mathematica performed the calculation numerically. I presume that I have enabled some sort of symbolic calculation mode, but I cannot figure out where. I am attaching a a link to a pdf file showing a image of the generated result for my function called "Absorption". The other functions called by Absorption are defined prior to the definition of Absorption. I just want to show the type of result generated. Also, If I want to plot my function Absorption relative to one of the arguments, Mathematica just doesnt plot it.
Best regards
The output image is in the google docs file below
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bw08G8QtolpXUDBnQUswdXUyVE0