Re: Instability with Dynamic content

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126174] Re: Instability with Dynamic content
  • From: leigh pascoe <leigh at evry.inserm.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 05:40:27 -0400 (EDT)

Le 23/04/2012 10:40, Alexei Boulbitch a =E9crit :
> I have an instability problem with Mathematica 8. The problem can occur
> at apparently any time, but usually with a notebook containing Dynamic
> content open. It can even occur when browsing through the Help
> documentation with a notebook open in the background.
>
> The problem manifests itself as a disappearance of the small arrow at
> the bottom of the scroll bar, so I can no longer scroll down a page. The
> position indicator is still present in the slider bar on the right of
> the window, but when I try to move it this changes the size of the
> window rather than the position in the document. Thus I am no longer
> able to view content below that already visible in the window. The
> notebook window becomes unresponsive to input. The problem seems to
> occur quite often and as I have no other option than to restart
> Mathematica it is quite annoying and leads to the loss of any unsaved work.
>
> Unfortunately it is difficult to give an example as the problem is
> intermittent and apparently random.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any thoughts on how to resolve it?
>
> Thanks
>
> LP
>
> In[61]:= $Version
>
> Out[61]= "8.0 for Microsoft Windows (32-bit) (October 6, 2011)"
>
> Actually 8.0.4.0 MS Windows 32 bit
>

> I meet regular the same problem. I reported on this problem the last Tuesday, my post appearing on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 under the subject [mg126111] scrolling GUI problem.
> So far I received no reply.
>
> In my case I did not notice any relation between the dynamic content and the scrolling problem. That is,  I met the scrolling problems in documents with interactive dynamics, but also in documents containing no interactive dynamics, but only regular calculations (sometimes - also quite simple) and text. Images may have been present in problematic documents. I cannot exclude that images were present in all documents exhibiting problems, though it does not seem necessary.
>
> Regards, Alexei
>
> Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
> IEE S.A.
> ZAE Weiergewan,
> 11, rue Edmond Reuter,
> L-5326 Contern, LUXEMBOURG
>
> Office phone :  +352-2454-2566
> Office fax:       +352-2454-3566
> mobile phone:  +49 151 52 40 66 44
>
> e-mail: alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu

Dear Alexi,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure if the problem is really related
to Dynamic content either - I suspect I have encountered the problem
earlier on non dynamic notebooks. Until now I just restarted Mathematica
when the problem occurred. I am reassured that I am not the only one
experiencing this problem and hope that someone has a suggestion as to
what can be done to remedy it.

LP