Re: How to create links or bookmarks to jump to sections inside a notebook

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg127892] Re: How to create links or bookmarks to jump to sections inside a notebook
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 04:09:47 -0400 (EDT)

1. Insert a tag in the target (graphics, or other) cell:

  - select the cell;
  - from menu, Cell > Cell Tags > Add/Remove Cell Tags (there's a
shortcut key for that -- Cmd J on Mac, probably Ctrl J on Windows);
  - in bottom input field in the "Edit Cell Tags for [nb name]" pop-up
window, type a name for the Cell tag, say "MyFigure" (no quotes);
  - click Add.

  (While working, you may want to display the cell tags. To do so, use
Cell > Cell Tags > Show Cell Tags.)

2. Create the hyperlink:

   - Select the text back in the text cell where you want the source of
the hyperlink;
   - from menu, Insert > Hyperlink (there's a shortcut key for that,
   - in the pop-up dialog window, click radio button "Current notebook";
   - in the display "All cell tags in the notebook", click the target
cell tag;
   - click OK (or combine the last two steps with a double-click).

I find the default styling of hyperlinked text hard to spot,
particularly at the default small font size on a high-resolution screen,
so you may want to change that, by more distinctive coloring or the old,
ugly, but well-understood underlining.

On Aug 29, 2012, at 1:14 AM, luke wallace <lukewallace1990 at>

> I'm trying to make an interactive e-book in mathematica.
> I know how to hyperlink to jump from one notebook to another, or to a
helpfile in mathematica using 'hyperlink' symbol
> but how do I make text click-able which will make it jump to a certain
picture inside the nb.
> So for example if I have a cell of text that has the text "Figure 1.1"
somewhere in there, I need to be able to click the "Figure 1.1" text
like a hyperlink to jump to the figure which is in the same lengthy
notebook but in a different section. Is it possible?
> If it is possible, how would I make a stylesheet that would
automatically interlink textual "Figure X.X" with the actual picture (by
tagging the picture), and then clicking the picture would jump back to
the text?

Murray Eisenberg
murray at
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts                  413 545-2859 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                      fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305