DSolve for a real function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127908] DSolve for a real function
  • From: Andreas Talmon l'Armée at smc.vnet.net
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 03:59:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All

Is there a way to tell mathematica to solve only for real solutions. My
differential equation is of the kind

y''''[x]+a y[x]==0

a= constant coefficient

I know that I get 4 komplex eigenvalues which are complex conjungated.
But y[x] is a real function.
Solving this equation with DSolve always gets a complex function y[x].

Any Ideas.

Thanks, Andreas