Front end won't start on win7 64

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124777] Front end won't start on win7 64
  • From: Jim <jamescsquire at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 06:03:42 -0500 (EST)

I have a campus license version of Mathematica installed on my Win7 64
laptop,  Worked great.  About a month later it stopped working,
although I can still run a kernal session no problem so it doesn't
seem to be a licensing issue.  When I try to start the front end I get
an hourglass for about 5 seconds, then it goes back to a regular
cursor as if nothing happened.  Except, the fan goes on high and a
look at the task manager shows that one Mathematica.exe 124k process
is running, and worse a second Mathematica.exe*32 1,460k process is
running that is taking 25% of my CPU (a logical quad core, so it's
fully occupying the core its on).  (I thought I installed the 64 bit
version).

I tried rebooting, uninstalling, rebooting, reinstall, rebooting...but
nothing works.  Probably related: I use Chrome as my browser.  When
going to a cdf presentation, like on Wolfram Demonstrations, the cdf
won't load and I get a popup that says "Choose MathLink program".  I
can make things work correctly by choosing the Mathematica
kernal...but it's pretty weird it doesn't know where to go by itself.

Any thoughts?  I've tried everything I can think of.  200G of hard
drive available and 8G RAM.  I have a switchable video system (mobo
Intel vs. Radeon) and same behavior regardless of the active driver -
and regardless, it worked when I first installed it a few months ago.