Re: Mathematica 8 - kernel hangs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124817] Re: Mathematica 8 - kernel hangs
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 05:29:47 -0500 (EST)

On 05/02/2012 11:05, Tim Haynes wrote:
> Hello All -
>
> I'm experienced user of Mathematica since the early 90s
> I'm using Mathematica 8 Home Edition and find the kernel is hanging
> way more frequently than I've ever seen before. I have Mathematica 7
> (professional version) installed at my job and the same notebooks that
> hang in my Home Edition work fine in Mathematica 7.
>
> Anyone else having this issue with version 6 Home Edition?
> Anyone know if this could be related to the parallel kernels or new
> "Dynamic Evaluation" ?
>
> I've played around with some of the kernel params but kind find any
> "smoking gun".
>
> Thanks !
> ~Tim

Since nobody has come up with a specific suggestion, and I take it you
can't isolate it to a specific piece of code, I would run a memory check
on your machine.

The rationale for this, is that physical memory is used by the paging
system a block at a time, and if you have a flawed piece of memory, it
may not show until something large is loaded. At that point, it depends
very much what gets loaded at that point.

I don't think the home edition is actually different from the regular
version - only the license is different.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk