Re: Documentation for GridBoxSpacings

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125028] Re: Documentation for GridBoxSpacings
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 06:27:02 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 06:25:59 -0500 (EST), jfuite wrote:
> Often, when I use the "Show Expression" capabilities of Mathematica to
> tweak the properties of a Cell I have in a notebook, I see the option
> GridBoxSpacings.  I think I want to change some of the settings, but I
> cannot find documentation anywhere that covers GridBoxSpacings.
> Please offer me some advice on what the entries mean after
> GridBoxSpacings, and what are the possible settings.  Thanks.

GridBoxSpacings is a translation of Grid's Spacings option.  The option doesn't
have the same name and isn't documented because it doesn't accept the same
right-hand side values that Spacings does.  It's pretty rare that options differ between kernel and FE analogs, but it happens with some Grid options where it
was much easier for us to write Mathematica code in the kernel's typesetting
layer to make sense of the options than C++ code in the front end option
handling.  So, you can think of GridBoxSpacings as a more machine-friendly
representation to the user friendly specification of Spacings.

I don't recall the precise details of the syntax and don't have the time right
now to recreate them, but you could probably figure it out for yourself by
trying various permutations of the Spacings option to see how it translates.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group