Re: Executing a Notebook and saving the modified Notebook - all without the GUI

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125151] Re: Executing a Notebook and saving the modified Notebook - all without the GUI
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 01:52:34 -0500 (EST)

NotebookEvaluate with the InsertResults->True option would be an ideal solution,
except that it doesn't presently work from a standalone kernel.  I might be able
to come up with some Mathematica code which would fix (mostly) the problem in
8.0.4 if there's interest (yes, we're fixing this problem in a future release).
Let me know.  I'm afraid it's very unlikely that I could come up with a fix that
would affect earlier versions.

It does work perfectly when evaluated from within a front end.

A note about NotebookEvaluate...even when run in a standalone kernel, it
requires the ability to run an FE with UsingFrontEnd[], and therefore a
windowing system to run against.  This means that it can't be used from a Linux
command line without an X server or a Windows/Mac box that is not logged into a
user account.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com