Re: Mathematica on tablet computer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123989] Re: Mathematica on tablet computer
  • From: ÅerÃch Jakub <Serych at panska.cz>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 05:02:27 -0500 (EST)

Dear Ralph,

I'm not sure, that you are true. The hardware power of contemporary tablets is pretty high (5 core processor runing at 1GHz, 1GB RAM, 32GB Flash hard drive, 1280x800 pretty powerfull graphic processor). The power of such tablet is fully comparable with mini notebooks on which Mathematica runs AFAIK without problems. The only problem is another architecture of processor (comparable netbooks run usualy Intel Atom or something similar but tablets usualy use some kind of ARM processor).

The solution with remote desktop should be theoreticaly usable, but I plan to use the tablet mainly when traveling, and in that situations the Internet connectivity is usualy very limited, sometimes pretty expensive and also massive conectivity needed for remote desktop applications tends to be very battery consuming.

So it completely looses the advantages of having Mathematica installed directly on the device.

But thanks for your tip

Jakub

P.S. Isn't it against the Mathematica license to run it in such remote manner?