Re: Using Mathematica to create slides

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124182] Re: Using Mathematica to create slides
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 04:16:55 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:20:37 -0500 (EST), hyphz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of using Mathematica to create some slides for a
> presentation on 3D graphics algorithms.  I've found a lot of neat ways
> of creating examples but I'm having a bit of trouble seeing how to lay
> out the slides.  In particular
>
> - How can I hide the Input cells with the Mathematica source code in
> them?

Double-click the cell bracket of the output cell.  This will close the cell
group, but close it around the output cell instead of the input cell.

> - Can I have a cell that doesn't stretch all the way across the slide
> horizontally?  So that I can have some text and an example by the side
> of it?

The closest thing to doing what you want is to use Grid[] to create a two-column
grid.  For example:

Grid[{{Text["Here's a graphic I created with Mathematica"],
=09Plot[Sin[x],{x,0,2Pi}]}}]

You could then use the trick above to hide the code.

> - Can I have a cell that doesn't appear when the slide is first shown,
> but which appears when the advance button is pressed?  Something like
> the multistage animations in PowerPoint?

Yeah, this would be nice.  What I do is to dupe the slides using copy/paste,
then add the newly exposed content to the second copy of the slide.  A feature
to do this would be better, but this at least gets the trick done.

> - Can I have any transition between slides other than a jump?

No, sorry.

> I'd be really grateful for any help with these.  Thanks in advance.

Hope my answers helped.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com