Re: modulo solving lacking domain?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126844] Re: modulo solving lacking domain?
  • From: Dana DeLouis <dana01 at me.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:54:11 -0400 (EDT)

> Solve[12*n==8,n,Modulus->20]
> {{n->4+5*C[1]}}
>
> It omits C[1] element of Integers.

Hi.  Don't know where one would find this, so try:

Solve[12*n==8,n,Integers,Modulus->20]

Solve::mdom: Warning: Mathematica is ignoring domain specification Integers;
option setting Modulus -> 20 implies domain integers modulo 20.

There you go!
..  Modulus -> 20 implies domain integers   :>)

//  And the solution appears to check ok.

Table[Mod[12(4+5 c), 20], {c, -3, 10}]
{8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8}

HTH  :>)
Dana DeLouis