Approximate Zero Times A Symbol

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127060] Approximate Zero Times A Symbol
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 04:11:51 -0400 (EDT)

What is the justification for the following?

0. x + 1. y

0. + 1. y

I want to display a dynamic weighted sum of x and y and sometimes one of the
coefficients becomes zero. I would like to keep both terms (for a steady
display) and format with NumberForm.  If Mathematica is going to drop the x,
why doesn't it at least also drop the approximate zero?

If I use SetPrecision we obtain:

SetPrecision[0. x + 1. y, 10]

1.000000000 y

which is at least more consistent, but not what I want either.

David Park

djmpark at comcast.net