Approximate Zero Times A Symbol

What is the justification for the following?

0. x + 1. y

0. + 1. y

I want to display a dynamic weighted sum of x and y and sometimes one of the
coefficients becomes zero. I would like to keep both terms (for a steady
display) and format with NumberForm.  If Mathematica is going to drop the x,
why doesn't it at least also drop the approximate zero?

If I use SetPrecision we obtain:

SetPrecision[0. x + 1. y, 10]

1.000000000 y

which is at least more consistent, but not what I want either.

David Park

djmpark at comcast.net