Re: Approximate Zero Times A Symbol

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127075] Re: Approximate Zero Times A Symbol
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 04:03:45 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Bob, but I think I didn't express myself clearly enough. What I have
is a dynamic display where the coefficients are varied and I want to retain
x and y in the display even when their coefficients are zero.

The following is what I ended up doing, but it does seem like a roundabout
method to obtain the result.

angle = 0.;
Slider[Dynamic[angle], {0., 90.}, Appearance -> "Labeled"]
Dynamic@NumberForm[
  HoldForm[aa x + bb y] /.
    Thread[{aa, bb} -> {Sin[angle Degree], Cos[angle Degree]}] //
   Chop, {7, 6}]

And I still don't understand why Mathematica should drop the x if x is not a
numeric quantity.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: Bob Hanlon [mailto:hanlonr357 at gmail.com]

Use Rationalize

expr = 0. x + 1. y;

expr // Rationalize

expr // Rationalize[#, 0] &

If there are any rational factors remaining you can use N with any desired
precision to return to reals.

Bob Hanlon