Re: Extracting Information from XBRL Files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127066] Re: Extracting Information from XBRL Files
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 04:00:38 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Hans,

I'm just flying by the seat of my pants.  I will try your suggestion.  I need compensation tables from the DEF 14A.  I spoke to a SEC representative yesterday, and she told me that DEF 14A is not yet available in XBRL format.  I like your download-to-notebook-format idea.

Thanks once again,

Gregory

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Hans Michel wrote:

> Gregory:
>
> I have used Mathematica to extract data from the SEC. (Mostly the =
older
> EDGAR format).
>
> Not all of the data on the SEC website is available in XBRL format.
>
> For some forms I prefer the EDGAR SGML-XML-HTML-Text hybrid fixed =
schema and
> taxonomy without the PDF.
>
> The XBRL structure brings so much framing with it that parsing the =
core xml
> file in Mathematica should be straight forward. But attaching the =
associates
> schemas and definitions are not so easy.
>
> The SEC provide a RSS feed of interactive data. Mathematica can take =
an RSS
> fee and change it to Notebook format.
>
> Import["http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/xbrlrss.all.xml";, "RSS"]
>
> http://xbrl.sec.gov/
>
> With that note book format you can write code to download and extract =
the
> zip files source.
>
> Parsing the main XML data file in a XBRL file is straight forward. It =
is
> attaching the schema and the meaning which could be done in =
Mathematica but
> to do so one would have to have a compeling reason not to use other =
tools
> that are specifically made for such task.
>
> I am familiar with SGML data I would consider the XBRL format a hybrid =
of
> SGML-XML even though the use of schemas (DTD) and entity files etc.
>
> What are you trying to do?
>
> Hans

XML.