Re: Extracting Information from XBRL Files

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg127066] Re: Extracting Information from XBRL Files
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 04:00:38 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Hans,

I'm just flying by the seat of my pants.  I will try your suggestion.  I need compensation tables from the DEF 14A.  I spoke to a SEC representative yesterday, and she told me that DEF 14A is not yet available in XBRL format.  I like your download-to-notebook-format idea.

Thanks once again,

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Hans Michel wrote:

> Gregory:
> I have used Mathematica to extract data from the SEC. (Mostly the =
> EDGAR format).
> Not all of the data on the SEC website is available in XBRL format.
> For some forms I prefer the EDGAR SGML-XML-HTML-Text hybrid fixed =
schema and
> taxonomy without the PDF.
> The XBRL structure brings so much framing with it that parsing the =
core xml
> file in Mathematica should be straight forward. But attaching the =
> schemas and definitions are not so easy.
> The SEC provide a RSS feed of interactive data. Mathematica can take =
an RSS
> fee and change it to Notebook format.
> Import["";, "RSS"]
> With that note book format you can write code to download and extract =
> zip files source.
> Parsing the main XML data file in a XBRL file is straight forward. It =
> attaching the schema and the meaning which could be done in =
Mathematica but