Re: much power to mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125353] Re: much power to mathematica
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 04:41:08 -0500 (EST)

On 06/03/2012 10:59, Bill Rowe wrote:
> On 3/5/12 at 1:03 AM, aleks.post at gmail.com (Alexey Kornetov) wrote:
>
>> Hmm.. You are right. I'm new in mathematica if there is the way to
>> allocate evolution between the cores to gain much speed?
>
> To allocate processing between cores you need to write your code
> to make use of functions such as ParallelTable. That is, your
> code needs to take advantage of parallel processing. Note,
> parallel processing can and will speed up some things but not
> all things.

Alexey,

Since you say you are a newcomer to Mathematica, I would be very wary
about plunging into parallel constructs unless you are sure your code
cannot be speeded up in other ways, such as:

Use of functional constructs.

Ensuring all arrays are 'packed'.

etc.

Remember that the maximum possible gain from parallelisation is given by
the number of cores on your machine, whereas other speedup tricks can
often achieve larger savings.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk