Re: Type-Ahead Searches in a Manipulate or Dynamic Module

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg125639] Re: Type-Ahead Searches in a Manipulate or Dynamic Module
  • From: A Retey <awnl at>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 02:02:16 -0500 (EST)

Am 23.03.2012 07:33, schrieb Gregory Lypny:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm cleaning data and prototyping rudimentary databases in
> Mathematica.  I have a few data arrays, consisting of a few thousand
> lines each.  I'd like to be able to search the arrays for lines
> (lists) containing search strings by typing into a text field and having
> the hits appear as I'm typing the search string, sort of like
> Spotlight on the Mac does.  This may be something as simple as using
> Select within the Manipulate combined with ControlActive.  Has anyone
> tinkered with something like this?

this is not really optimized, but I'd give it a try and see if it will
just work. It should be simple enough to serve as a starting point for a
more specialized version:

data={{"hello",1},{"test",2},{"something else",3}};

the real trick is the ContinuousAction option, everything else should be
pretty straightforward...