Type-Ahead Searches in a Manipulate or Dynamic Module

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125632] Type-Ahead Searches in a Manipulate or Dynamic Module
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 01:32:42 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone,

I'm cleaning data and prototyping rudimentary databases in
Mathematica.  I have a few data arrays, consisting of a few thousand
lines each.  I'd like to be able to search the arrays for lines
(lists) containing search strings by typing into a text field and having
the hits appear as I'm typing the search string, sort of like
Spotlight on the Mac does.  This may be something as simple as using
Select within the Manipulate combined with ControlActive.  Has anyone
tinkered with something like this?

Gregory