MathGroup Archive 2012

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Euclidean distance of all pairwise combinations (redundants)

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128655] Euclidean distance of all pairwise combinations (redundants)
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 01:29:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newout@smc.vnet.net
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newsend@smc.vnet.net

I have been having a tough time trying to figure out how to include all red undant pairwise combinations in my results for the euclidean distance between a set of points. I have a set of points with xy coordinates and want the euclidean distance between each point including the point and itself. So if my points in xy space are list = {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}} for example, I want the distance from {1, 1} to {1, 1}, {1, 1} to {2, 2}, and {2, 2} to {3, 3} etc. for each point for a total of 9 distances all together. The EuclideanDistance function removes the redundant distances that I want retained in the results. I have been using this code just to play with data but would like to be able to expand up to 500+ points:

list = {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}}
EuclideanDistance @@@ Subsets[list, {2}]

Any ideas on how to get the euclidean distance between all the points including redundants and self references?

• Prev by Date: Re: Mode of InverseChiSquareDistribution
  • Next by Date: Re: Is there a way to do comment with just one keystroke at the start as
  • Previous by thread: Re: Is there a way to do comment with just one keystroke at the start
  • Next by thread: Re: Euclidean distance of all pairwise combinations (redundants)