Re: Fourier Transform of a "step" function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128507] Re: Fourier Transform of a "step" function
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 23:34:07 -0400 (EDT)

f[x_] = Piecewise[
   {{a + b x + c x^2, 0 < x < 20}}, 0];

g[w_] = FourierTransform[f[x], x, w] //
  FullSimplify

-((1/(Sqrt[2*Pi]*w^3))*
      (I*(2*c - w*(I*b + a*w) +
            E^(20*I*w)*(-2*c +
                 I*(b + 40*c)*w +
                 (a + 20*(b + 20*c))*w^2))))

f2[x_] = InverseFourierTransform[g[w], w, x]

(1/2)*(a + x*(b + c*x))*
   (Sign[20 - x] + Sign[x])

f2 differs from the original function only on the step transitions

Simplify[f2[x], #] & /@
 {x < 0, x == 0, 0 < x < 20, x == 20, x > 20}

{0, a/2, a + x*(b + c*x),
   (1/2)*(a + 20*(b + 20*c)), 0}

f2 has the same Fourier transform as the original function

g[w] == FourierTransform[f2[x], x, w]

True

Bob Hanlon