Washington DC Area Mathematica SIG

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128148] Washington DC Area Mathematica SIG
  • From: Nicholas <physnick at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 04:56:18 -0400 (EDT)

Mathematica SIG
(http://www.pmsi-va.com/mathsig)

MEETING

21 September 2012, 7:30-9:00am

DeVry University
Crystal City Campus, 2450 Crystal Dr
(3rd Floor room TBD; check with desk officer at the top of the stairs)
Arlington VA  22202

DeVry students and faculty can freely attend our meetings.  We value such attendance and thank DeVry for this courtesy to the community. Jennifer Cadman, Director of Community Outreach at DeVry University is our Point of Contact.

Agenda

Scheduled Speakers

Using Mathematica's Graphical Interface for First Order Optical Ray Tracing, by Mel Friedman.

Abstract.  First order optical ray traces are useful for understanding how an optical system works. In particular it can be used to determine system magnification and the location of the aperture stop, entrance and exit pupils. This presentation outlines how Mathematica was used to create accurate figures in the optics chapter of the book I coauthored titled, "Introduction to Infrared and Electro-Optical Systems".

Advance and Transfer Curves, by Harry Bishop.

Abstract.   Transfer curves connect sections of straight track for a vehicle to follow. Advance is the forward distance carried when entering a curve and transfer is the lateral distance between start of curve and completion of the turn. Curvature should be continuous from 0 at the start of the turn to a known maximum value that returns to 0 on completion of the turn. Known maximum curvature  1/ minimum turn radius. Exponential functions are used to model a continuous curvature turn with accelerating and decelerating curvature portions achieving the desired total turn angle.

Garden Designer, by Nicholas Mecholsky.

Abstract.    I will demonstrate a garden designer that my wife requested. This garden designer features a graphical interface where different garden elements including text may be placed. There is an option to export to pdf, and a symbolic way to store the garden state. Some features will be demonstrated and comments will be welcome.

2.  Mathematica Gems and Discoveries

Sharing of Mathematica programming oddities
Applications of Mathematica to some areas of science
Something recently read and worth sharing

3.  Mathematica Questions, Possible Approaches and Discussion

4.  New Business

Possible Matlab or COMSOL visit in October
Upcoming Wolfram Technology Conference
Directions.  http://www.devry.edu/locations/campuses/loc_arlingtoncampus.jsp.  To get to the meeting room enter DeVry from the concourse side next to Century cafe. Go inside the Crystal Drive entrance of DeVry to reach the concourse.  Parking options:

Curbside 2hr parking for $1.25/hour (usually available on Friday morning before 7:30)
Park in Garage 17 ($5/hour; $10/day if arrive by 0900)
Metro to Crystal City Station (if not familiar with Crystal City head to Crystal Blvd and walk south to the end building where DeVry is located)
Breakfast. Some members meet for breakfast in the concourse cafe public area arriving between 7:00am and 7:15am. There are several cafes available that have full breakfast selections at reasonable prices. We will have a MathSig sign at our table for you to locate us.

When you arrive at the DeVry 3rd floor (going up the stairs) just ask the desk officer for the Mathematica meeting room.