Re: Exact Schur Decomposition

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg128175] Re: Exact Schur Decomposition
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 04:13:24 -0400 (EDT)

Unfortunately the implementation in Mathematica is for numerical
matrices only as the help text states:

yields the Schur decomposition for a numerical matrix m,...

On Sep 20, 2012, at 12:26 AM, Geoffrey Eisenbarth wrote:

> Anyone know of a work around to get exact matrices out of the
SchurDecomposition command? Unfortunately, when I pass an integer matrix
through the command, it gives an infinite precision error. I know I can
run the matrix through the numerical N[] command before I pass it to
SchurDecomposition[], but I'd like to be able to get the exact unitary
and upper triangular matrices which decompose a given matrix. Any
thoughts on a work around, or is this futile?